Investing in new windows is an exciting opportunity to enhance your home’s aesthetic and increase its value. However, to ensure the longevity and performance of your windows, regular maintenance is key. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to keep your new windows functioning beautifully for years to come.
If you have not yet had new windows installed, contact Progressive Insulation & Windows at (800) 500-6200 to get a free estimate.
The Lifespan of Different Window Materials
The lifespan of new windows varies significantly based on the material used:
- Fiberglass windows can last for 50 years or more.
- Vinyl windows typically last between 20 to 40 years.
- Wood windows have a lifespan of approximately 15-20 years.
Maintaining Window Condition
To keep windows in top condition, regular cleaning and maintenance are essential. Dirt, dust, and environmental factors can affect the functionality and appearance of windows. Here are the main components to focus on:
- Window Panes: Clean regularly to prevent dirt buildup and inspect for any signs of damage.
- Sashes: Dust and clean the frames that hold the glass to ensure smooth operation.
- Screens: Periodically clean and check for tears or damage, replacing if necessary.
- Window Tracks: Remove debris and clean to ensure smooth opening and closing.
- Caulking & Seals: Inspect for any gaps or signs of wear and reseal to maintain energy efficiency.
Steps for Cleaning Your Windows
Cleaning your windows involves attention to various parts, ensuring they remain attractive and functional:
- Cleaning Panes: Use a gentle cleaner to remove grime and maintain clarity.
- Sashes and Frames: Regular dusting and wiping down will prevent dirt buildup.
- Screens: Gentle washing will remove dirt and extend the life of your screens.
- Tracks: Vacuuming and wiping down tracks will prevent sticking and operational issues.
Window Maintenance Tips
Proper maintenance extends the life of your windows and ensures they continue to perform as expected:
- Check Caulking & Seals: Regularly inspect and replace caulking to prevent drafts and moisture ingress.
- Inspect Panes: Look for any signs of damage or deterioration, especially in Low-E coated windows.
- Tighten Screws & Bolts: Ensure all hardware is secure to prevent operational issues.
Repairing Your Windows
Prompt repairs can prevent small issues from becoming significant problems:
- Broken Glass: Address immediately to maintain the window’s integrity and performance.
- Frame Damage: Inspect wooden frames for signs of rot or damage and repair or replace as needed.
- Loose Hardware: Tighten or replace any damaged screws or bolts to ensure smooth operation.
Recognizing When Replacement is Necessary
Despite best efforts in maintenance, there will come a time when windows need to be replaced. Signs include:
- Visible damage or deterioration
- Drafty windows affecting home comfort
- Increased energy bills
- Condensation inside the window panes
- Difficulty in opening or closing
Elevating Your Home with Quality Windows
Progressive Insulation & Windows offers an extensive selection of durable and stylish windows, including options from renowned manufacturers. Known for our high-quality products and exceptional service, we ensure every customer enjoys a smooth and satisfactory upgrade experience. With our expertise, your window investment will enhance your home’s curb appeal and performance for years to come.
For more information on maintaining your new windows or to discuss upgrading your home with our quality products, contact Progressive Insulation & Windows at (800) 500-6200. Our team is committed to guiding you through the maintenance and selection process, ensuring your windows remain a valuable and enduring aspect of your home.